Bête Noire, commonly referred to as Betty, is the main antagonist of Season 2. She holds a pink soul that represents the trait of FEAR, and is constantly accompanied by Akumu (who she often calls "Kumu,"), a blob-like being of an unknown species. She was created to ensure humans and monsters never had peace with each other. She seeks to gain the power to exterminate all monsters and humans.
Power and Stats
Tier: At least High 8-C | At least 8-B, likely 8-AName: Betty Norie, Bête Noire, Amber Lightvale (formerly)
Age: 11-13 years physically and mentally
Origian: Undertale AUs - Glitchtale
Classification: Magical Humanoid Construct, HATE SOUL, SOUL of FEAR
1st appearance: Appear in Glitchtale
Last appearance: Unknown
Species: Magical Humanoid Construct
Quote: "The Pink trait... A 'Bete Noire'. The soul of FEAR. I wished to be the one to reveal the big surprise. Oh well... (grins evilly) not like it matters. I already obtained all the information I needed."
Origin: Bête Noire (more commonly called Betty Noire or just Betty) is from the highly popular fan-made Undertale webseries by Camila Cuevas, Glitchtale, serving as the primary antagonists of its second season. Betty was initially Amber, Agate Lightvale's younger sister, with a blue and green SOUL. When Agate killed her brother Copper Lightvale after an argument about the Barrier went out of hand, she realized she was slowly dying. In a last attempt to ensure that Monsters and Humans would never make peace, Agate used Amber as a vessel to create Betty Noire, whose purpose would be to destroy Humans and Monsters shall the Barrier ever be shattered. Betty's SOUL is the pink FEAR soul, and she is constantly accompanied by the blob-like creature Akumu (commonly called Kumu). At first, Betty looked like an innocent, cheery, happy-go-lucky girl incapable of doing evil, but when she remembered what Agate has commanded her to do, she turned evil, and sought sufficient power to destroy both races Agate wanted separated.
Personality: During My Sunshine and a majority of Dust, Betty seemed to be incapable of cruelty. She was always bursting with energy and was very excited to meet Frisk. She had a reputation of always carrying a cheerful smile on her face. Around her peers, Betty acted very friendly. For example, in My Sunshine, she was quick to greet Jessica Grey. But, at the same time, she seemed to be a tad shy. This is shown when she blushes when she met Toriel. She also seemed a little secretive when it came to her soul and her powers. Despite appearing to be sweet and innocent, Betty's personality easily changed after Dr. Gaster read about the tale of two siblings. Here, he learned that the Agate Lightvale sacrificed her pink soul to create a powerful creature that would destroy all of humanity and monsterkind. Afterwards, she wasted no time trying to hide the monster inside of her. Betty revealed that she enjoys it when she severely hurts others (both physically and emotionally), indicating that she has a very sadistic personality. She appears to enjoy hurting her opponents before she kills them. A popular example of this was when use activated Rhabdophobia in her battle with Gaster. In fact, Betty is known for attempting to kill anyone in her way. In fact, sometimes she kills others (even if their innocent) just to help her achieve her goals. At one point, she even killed innocent children just so she could gain souls to get stronger. It also clear that Betty has no problem lying or betraying others. This is proven when she betrayed Jessica Grey. Betty appears to suffer from necrophobia. If a foe tries to attack her with a powerful blow, she wears an absolutely terrified expression on her face. She also seems highly intelligent and knows what to get what she wants. Like a majority of Glitchtale villians, Betty, for the most part, thinks that what she does is the right thing to do. According a post and a couple of lines from Scared of Me, she believes that monsters and humans living together is "like a time bomb waiting to go off". Therefore, she thinks killing humans and monster is simply "just speeding up the process". Despite Betty's sadism and murderous aims, she appears to be unwillingly evil. This is shown in the comic that showed her awakening. Here, she seemed to be a good person until Agate Lightvale started commanding her to do her evil deeds. In a post, it was revealed that she is unsure if what she was doing was really the right thing to do. She even seems to care about Akumu. For example, in Do or Die, she showed noticeable FEAR when the creature was hurt in their battle with Dr. Gaster. Both Kumu and Betty appear to treasure each other as their best and only friend. Betty seems to be scared of the HATE's plans. This indicates that she has standards because the HATE plans are far more evil than her own. While under HATE's control, Betty appears to act far more violent and insane. In this state, if she gets into a battle, she mercilessly attacks her foes with a twisted black smile on her face. Also, she appears to lack self control.
Appearance: Betty physically appears as a cute preteen girl that has brown hair with tips of pink on the edges that's about medium-long. The closer she is to be able to use her Rhabdophobia magic, the pinker her hair will be, starting from the bottom. Once Rhabdophobia is available for her, her hair becomes completely pink with no trace of brown. She wears a magenta skirt which had its edges torn as seen in the My Promise trailer (referencing Amber's torn skirt in Glitchtale Origins: The Black Beast), a light purple turtleneck with a large light pink stripe at its bottom, light purple leggings (except in My Sunshine) and brown boots that are pretty close to reaching her knees.
Which is Betty lot of better?: 68% Great.
- Frisk's Genocide Route continues and Betty is an "ERASER TOOL". Confirmed Theory.
- Betty has shown symptoms of anti-social personality disorder. Symptoms include lying (such as when she betrayed Jessica Grey), feeling no remorse (as shown in Do or Die, when she was killing children), and showing hostility and sadism (like when she was laughing as she killed Sans in Dust).
- Betty's full name, Bete Noire, comes from the French term bête noire, meaning "someone or something that one particularly dislikes." This is fitting, as, for her creator, Agate Lightvale, monsters were her bête noire. Bete Noire specifically means "Black Beast".
- Akumu (悪夢) is the Japanese word for "Nightmare."
- Veir stated that "Betty fears death," revealing that she has Necrophobia.
- "Do or Die" confirmed it when Betty was about to be killed by one of Gaster's gaster blasters.
- Betty, as stated, becomes stronger the closer she is to dying.
- The trait, FEAR, is the opposite of Bravery, and one of the requirements to gain the trait is an inverted Bravery soul.
- In My Sunshine, Betty can be seen looking around the AMD HQ while Frisk was talking with Jessica Grey.
- Betty seems to grow more powerful by absorbing human and monster souls, which also causes her hair to turn increasingly pink. It also activates her special attack, Rhabdophobia.
- Camilla Cuevas, the creator of Glitchtale, once had Betty's profile photo in YouTube, even before Betty was seen in the series. This indicates that Betty was originally Camila's old Undertale OC (original character).
- Only one FEAR soul can exist at any moment, and the same goes for Determination, and only FEAR can defeat Determination and vice versa.
- At the beginning of My Sunshine, Betty can be seen watching Toriel and her students
- Rhabdophobia is the FEAR of magic or the fear to be wounded by magical attacks.
- According to a tumblr post, Betty was looking for something in the core.
- According to Camila Cuevas, Betty does not eat, sleep, or bleed. This was also shown in Love, when Betty did not shed any blood after being hit by Undyne's spear.
- Camila once said on her Tumblr page that the soul of FEAR is pink because pink is a color that looks innocent and can also tricks the characters and the audiences.
- In the current situation, HATE seems to have begun to take full control of Betty's body.
- Some people believe that the HATE Chara had in Season 1 is the same HATE Betty has. However, this theory has been debunked. Camila Cueves herself admits that the HATE Betty absorbed had nothing to do with Chara.
- In fact, Betty was killed by Undyne in the battle against Undyne the Undying , but Kumu rescued Betty with a HATE vial, After Battle of HATE vs Undyne the Undying, Betty took back her body's control, They escaped from Undyne, Undyne won this battle without any damage come by Betty, except HATE.
- If Akumu dies, Betty will slowly die, and the same applies for Akumu. The same is true for both, but they do not die immediately, it should take a while.
- In one camila tumblr post, Camila released a canon conversation about Betty. A conversation that was never shown in the series. Tumblr post.
- Betty is scared of HATE's intentions Camila Post.
- Killing monsters and killing humans only half, is enough to stop Betty. It's not necessary to kill them all. Camila Post.
- Determination may block and refuse, FEAR's Rhabdophobia ability.
- Bete Noire Spell is couple hundred years old but Body Age is 13, body age never progresses.
- Betty has currently captured 26 human souls and 1 monster soul, but none is enough to become a GOD. Camila Post.
- Camila doesn't want explain, why Betty is interested about Asriel's soul. Camila Post.
- In "Do or Die" episode Betty is was looking for a "very special" soul in Gaster's lab.Camila Post.
- If hardmode isn't activated, Betty would never have existed in Season 2 and those fights would have never happened. Camila Post.
- Betty's power is not enough for Undyne. Camila Post.
Info: In addition, Betty is shown to be quite strong physically, she able to heavily damage a wall with a single, casual punch in My Promise and she's very agile and athletic.
Betty's HP: 450
Immune: Soul Manipulation
Power And Abilities
1. Weapon Mastery
3. Illusion Creation
4. Energy Projection
6. Soul Manipulation
7. Matter Creation
8. Immortality (Types 1 and 2)
9. Statistics Amplification
Attack Potency: At least Large Building Level (Defeated Gaster and Alphys.) | At least City Block Level, likely Multi-City Block Level (Managed to hold her own against Undyne the Undying. Stomped LV 3 Frisk, and then killed Asriel. Should at least be somewhat comparable to LV 19 Frisk.)
Speed: At least Subsonic+ (Comparable to Gaster.) | At least Subsonic+
Lifting Strength: Unknown | Unknown
Striking Strength: City Block Class | At least City Block Class, likely Multi-City Block Class
Durability: Large Building level (Took multiple hits from Undyne the Undying, who was able to destroy Gaster's lab.) | At least City Block level, likely Multi-City Block level (More durable than before.)
Stamina: Very high | At least Very High
Range: Dozens of meters, tens of kilometers with blobs
Standard Equipment: Heart Spear, Betty's Scythe , Weapon of Nightmares, Akumu, HATE vial
Intelligence: Above Average (Fooled everyone into thinking she was innocent, including Frisk. Planned out an attack on Toriel's school that was ultimately successful.)
- Defeated Gaster and Alphys.
- Managed to hold her own against Undyne the Undying. Stomped LV 3 Frisk, and then killed Asriel. Should at least be somewhat comparable to LV 19 Frisk.
- Took multiple hits from Undyne the Undying, who was able to destroy Gaster's lab.
- More durable than before.
- Fooled everyone into thinking she was innocent, including Frisk. Planned out an attack on Toriel's school that was ultimately successful.
Betty must constantly feed on magic in order to live. Anyone with enough willpower can counteract her fear-based techniques. | If Betty abuses HATE's power, it will overtake her.
Betty is very strong but little weak, she defeated Gaster, and Alphys, even she was comparable to LV 19 Frisk.